Tuesday, August 31, 2010

American Gothic

A few posts back, I had the privilege of making some prints of my family from some lost negatives. I don't know how but I forgot to post the best one.


 Like the other images from earlier posts, this image was made in the late 40s early 50s.  I don't believe the person who took the picture was thinking they were mimicking the American Gothic painting. Who knows? Maybe they were? Regardless. I presented this to my mother and she loved it. The copy now hangs in her living room.

Several years ago I picked up a No. 3 Buster Brown Box camera for a few bucks at an estate sale. It was made by the Ansco company and were mass produced in the early 1900s.  The camera is very simple in design with an bulb setting and an auto shutter setting which is somewhere around 1/25th of a second.  Today I decided to make a couple of images with it. I had a couple of extra sheets of paper that I use for printing left over to use as a negative.

ISO 3/ F 5.6 / 1/4 Second exposure.


 Once I figured out the ISO or speed of the paper and guessed at the aperture of the camera I was all set. I loaded the cut sheet paper (3.5 X 4.5 inches) in the camera under a safe light, then went outside and made an exposure.  I then returned to the darkroom unloaded the paper and developed it.( Result was a paper negative. Direct positive paper can be purchased but not necessary if you have a scanner and photoshop.) I like the results.

ISO 3/ F 4/ 30 Seconds


 I think down the road this camera will be useful to make some nice portraits but self portraits are out of the question because of the lenses focal length, one cannot be too close and open and close the shutter.  This exposure is not too bad the sweet spot for this camera looks to be about 7-8 feet by the item just behind my shoulder being in focus and is pretty sharp. 

No comments: