Monday, September 1, 2008

Worth The Cost



If one looks at my earlier entries you will see an old Kodak No. 3A camera. Like I mentioned I had picked it up at an estate sale for next to nothing. Today I weighed the decision to dismantle the camera for the lens and shutter. I checked prices on ebay. Yes, it was worth the cost. The bellows of the camera were in as most of its age torn at the corners from being in closed position for a long time. As I took it apart I found that the shutter had two years on it 1909 and 1910. I cleaned the lenses and mounted it on my extra 4x5 lens board. The lens of course was a Kodak 170 mm, f7.7 with T, B, 25, and 50 for shutter speeds.


Looking at the ground glass with my Loupe. I was amazed at the clarity of it. It was sharp. It might be sharper than the original lens that came with my 4x5 camera itself. Does that mean I will take my old lens to the beach and mark up the lens with sand to get that old look. Not just yet.


This is Mallory f.7.7 with a 2 second exposure time. Apparently they don't make them like they used to. I have seen expensive lenses. I'm keeping this one.

No comments: